As a pet bird owner or a bird breeder, it’s important to know how to hand feed your parrot in case he’s sick or when there is a baby bird who hasn’t mastered how to eat alone. Hand-feeding your parrot with the best parrot hand feeding formula will provide a nutritional diet to help him get better and help baby birds grow faster and wean earlier.
Tips on how to hand-feed your parrot
If you don’t hand-feed your parrot properly, it can lead to injuries, sickness, and even death. Using the correct techniques you can have your parrot eating from the palm of your hand. You can also learn more by watching here.
- Before you hand feed your parrot ensure that you have received some hands-on training from a professional or a bird breeder on how to hand feed a bird so that you’re comfortable with the procedure.
- Always make sure your hands are clean before you hand feed your parrot.
- To make it easier and to get the best results, use a commercial hand feeding formula and follow the instructions that will give you details on the solid-to-water ratio which is based on your parrot’s age.
- Don’t use leftover formula because it might contain bacteria. Always use a fresh batch of feeding formula.
- The temperature of your parrot food should be between 100-108 degrees Fahrenheit. Heat the hand feeding formula by mixing it and placing it over a pot of hot water, but not in the microwave because it can burn.
- Stir the formula and ensure it has a good consistency and tests the temperature with your wrist to make sure it’s bird-safe. You can either use a syringe or a teaspoon to feed your parrot. Exercise patience because it will take some time.
- Place your parrot of a towel, gently grip his neck from behind and stretch it slightly and steady his lower beak with your finger. Angle the feeding implement at the right side of his throat which will elicit a feeding response where your parrot will pump the food into his crop, then release the food slowly.
- Young parrots and smaller species require more frequent feeding than their larger counterparts. The second and third week is the rapid growth phase when they need more food, but make sure not to overfeed them. The crop will be full after feeding and empty after 3-4 hours. If food remains in the crop for long periods, consult an avian vet.
- Consult a vet or a breeder to know how many times you feed your parrot and check his progress by weight him before and after feeding to see if he’s losing of gaining weight. If he’s losing weight, take him to see a vet.
Best parrot hand feeding formula
This is a hand-feeding formula that is used by vets and professional breeders throughout the world. It contains a balanced diet with a high-nutrient formula that helps your baby parrots to grow faster, develop stronger, wean earlier, and have brighter plumage. This formula contains probiotics that help to maintain a healthy amount of microorganisms in his intestines. It also contains digestive enzymes that help his body in easily digesting carbs and proteins especially if your parrot is having digestion problems or for baby birds. Hand-feeding your baby parrots is a way of creating a bond between you and your baby parrot.
If you want to hand feed your parrot, you must receive training from someone who is experienced because it has risks to the bird if not fed properly. It’s also important you follow the instructions correctly, use the right feeding implement, use fresh formula at each feeding, ensure you maintain good hygienic standards, and monitor the growth and health of your baby parrots. Don’t forget that birds need 10-12% of their body weight per each feeding.
- Contains essential nutrients for your parrot
- Your baby parrots grow up healthy and vibrant
- Gives your parrots healthy and shiny feathers
- More suitable for grain-eaters
- Has a strong smell
A popular hand feeding formula that is rich in nutrients to ensure proper growth, development, weaning, and bright plumage for your baby parrots. It contains probiotics that help to promote a healthy gut while the digestive enzymes ensure smooth digestion.
This is another hand feeding formula that you can use to feed your parrot that is formulated to provide daily nutrition to your baby parrots. It’s a finely ground powder which is very easy to mix to give you a smooth consistency when mixed with hot water to ensure that it’s a clump-free mash. This makes it easy and quick to prepare for easy feeding and digestion. The formula contains a balanced amount of proteins, amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that your baby parrot needs to grow faster and healthy.
It has been fully processed and pasteurized to ensure that there are no fungal or bacteria microorganisms so that it stays fresh for longer. It doesn’t contain any artificial preservatives, flavors, or colors which makes it perfect for most of the different types of parrot species. It contains fatty acids and natural omega from flax seeds and fat and protein from peanut meat as well as 8 essential grains that complement the amino acids which are critical in the healthy growth and development of your baby parrots.
- It doesn’t cause any crop problems
- Helps to keep your birds strong and healthy
- Has a nice smell
- Easy to prepare and mix it in a syringe
- It’s a bit grainy
A finely ground up formula that you can easily mix and blend with hot water for a smooth consistency to improve feeding and digestion. The amino acids, fats, proteins, and other nutrients help to keep your baby parrots happy and healthy.
Learning how to hand feed your parrot with the best hand feeding formula is not an easy thing. You need to know how to feed your parrot correctly and it can consume a lot of your time, so you need to be patient. Feeding formula is good for baby birds or if your parrot is sick and can’t feed himself. It contains essential nutrients that will help bring your sick parrot back to health and also helps in the quick growth, weaning, and development of your baby parrots.